The Niles Township Regular Republican Organization (NTRRO) initiated a new effort to visually demonstrate public support for first responders in Niles Township. Led by Morton Grove resident and Niles Township Republican Committeeman Joe Hedrick, the goal is to encourage residents to actively support first responders by using one or more of the following methods:
- Tie blue and red ribbons to trees, posts, or railings on the residents’ own property where visible from the street;
- Inflate red and blue balloons and tie them to locations in front of the home;
- Use blue painters tape to place a strip on the inside of a vehicle’s rear window and/or bumper;
- Replace porch light bulbs and/or outside garage light bulbs with blue light bulbs;
- Place a string of blue and/or red LED lights around the front window or porch of the home;
- Perform random acts of kindness such as purchasing a first responder’s meal in a restaurant;
- Deliver a “Thank You” card to a local police or fire station, signed by neighbors, coworkers, family members and owners/employees of local businesses;
- Carefully approach a police officer or firefighter to say, “Thank You!”
- Offer first responders a wrapped roll of LifeSavers, since they are lifesavers in real life.
- Hedrick states we are living in a time of growing anti-police sentiment.
“The police are there whenever we need help, so we should be there for them. Their job is one of the most difficult jobs imaginable. Let’s make the effort to show our first responders how much we appreciate all they do to protect our families and communities,” said Hedrick. “We are hoping our neighboring villages will take notice of what we are doing in Niles Township and duplicate our efforts. This will lead to a boost in community spirit and help to bring residents and public servants together,” Hedrick continued.
Niles Township includes the villages of Lincolnwood, Skokie, Morton Grove, Golf, and sections of Niles and Glenview. Ribbons and blue light bulbs are available at many area retail stores. If a homeowner needs assistance with purchasing light bulbs, they may contact Hedrick directly by email at: email@example.com; or by mail: NTRRO, PO Box 911, Skokie, IL, 60077.